site history
donations
link to tt.com
home page
support staff
contact us
your account
logout

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
melee54Offline
Post subject: 94 Tempo - List of Issues - Should I fix it?  PostPosted: Jan 15, 2013 - 03:57 PM

Found this site through a google search last night. Gotta say, there are some pretty nice Tempos in the pictures section. Anyway, so here's the deal. I've already got a newer reliable car, but the Tempo was my first car and I'm kind of attached to it. But lately I can't drive it due to the following:

1. Randomly, sometimes it will not shift passed first gear. It's an automatic. The engine revs to the max and won't go more than 25mph. Usually putting it in park and turning the car off and on fixes it.

2. When idling, a large pipe on the bottom of the car that leads to the muffler/exhaust rattles.

3. When idling, after the engine has warmed up a little bit and the RPMs go down, it feels like it loses power and starts sputtering. Also sputters when you initially put it in drive or reverse. When gas is applied, it stays strong.

4. Pulls to the left when braking, then goes back to the right after you let off the brake.

5. leaks antifreeze.

6. Not sure if it's in my head, but seems to jerk slightly when you're stopped at a red light and then speed up. So from stopped to moving, it might be jerking into gear. but it's slight and the car is rather noisy in general so I'm not sure if it's just normal or not.

With that said, within the past year and a half I've had the fuel injector cleaned, timing adjusted, idle adjusted, headgasket cover fixed/replaced, new water pump... and a few other things that I can't remember. I've already put more money into it than what I initially paid for it, but man... it's my car. Strangely, whenever I'd take it to the shops, they'd say things like "It's no space ship, but it's actually in good shape. I wouldn't think about scrapping it or anything", or "It has a lot of newer parts", etc.

Thoughts?

Other info -
1994 Tempo 4dr 2.3L
Automatic, 113,000 miles
replaced idle air control valve and harmonic balancer a while back
entire vehicle rattles constantly; mirrors and doors shake. tightening the screws, etc, helps but it didn't do this when I first got it in 2009.

Reply with quote Back to top
ctubutisOffline
Post subject: RE: 94 Tempo - List of Issues - Should I fix it?  PostPosted: Jan 15, 2013 - 08:09 PM

The jerking wouldn't be normal, no.

As for pulling when braking, this could be a number of things - ball joints, sticking caliper, wheel bearings.

Take it in for a front end alignment, they should inspect it before doing any work on it and let you know what it needs for a reasonable cost.

Pull the computer codes to see what it says is happening concerning the sputtering. Here's how to do it at home with a paper clip:

http://www.oldfuelinjection.com/?p=13

amc49Offline
Post subject: RE: 94 Tempo - List of Issues - Should I fix it?  PostPosted: Jan 16, 2013 - 03:33 AM
Blabbermouth

You CANNOT adjust the idle speed, anyone thinking he can should be kept away from the car. Electronically controlled...........

The trans is not electronically controlled, meaning putting it in park and turning ignition off and on cannot do anything. Look for a missing bushing at the bottom of shift linkage where it joins to trans. Or the throttle pressure linkage is seizing up under the trans top cover.

Most common AFZ leak on these is the heater core and you don't wanna know what it takes to change one..........

The jerking and vibration could easily be one of the four mounts broken. You should know the most commonly available motor mounts (Anchor brand) for these are hard as rock and vibrate or buzz even when new. Look for the front or rear roll restrictors to be broke first.

shelbymanOffline
Post subject: RE: 94 Tempo - List of Issues - Should I fix it?  PostPosted: Jan 17, 2013 - 05:38 AM

Sounds to me like your tranny is going out causing most of these problems. If the pump has too much metal in the filter it won't pick up enough fluid to shift out of 1st. It will also jerk when it takes off breaking your motor mounts, and low tranny fluid can mess up an idle and make it die at every stop light in town. Either the fluid is actually low in the case or the pump can't pick up enough because it is full of clutch material, bushings shavings, etc. Plan on rebuilding or getting another trans.
The coolant leak may not be that bad. If it is the heater core you can change it without pulling the dash, you just have to lay on your back in the floorboard for awhile to get the old one out. I changed 4 of em on my old topaz trying to get the stopleak out of the system. I can do it in about an hour or so now.
If its the head gasket, that's not too bad as long as you don't have a cracked or warped head or block. Changing the head gasket on these isn't that bad since they are pushrod motors, and the rockers aren't adjustable.
As far as they brakes go, change the hoses First and the calipers later if the hoses don't fix your problem. Hoses are cheaper, and can internally fail, and should be changed anyway.
If you love her fix her, if you don't you won't regret letting her go. They just don't make em like this anymore.

amc49Offline
Post subject: RE: 94 Tempo - List of Issues - Should I fix it?  PostPosted: Jan 17, 2013 - 07:05 AM
Blabbermouth

I do not agree with that trans diagnosis at all, and I've rebuilt these. OP mentions no slipping, you cannot have a clogged pump inlet and no slipping.

But then I don't agree low fluid will affect idle speed either other than freeing it up, the only way it can possible drag down idle would be to actually damage parts from lack of oil thus increasing friction. Once that has occurred then no amount of fluid is going to make the idle speed back up, the damage doesn't just repair itself. I've filled hundreds of cars with low or no fluid and never once saw it drag the idle down, not even once. If anything the idle slowed down when fluid was filled back up, like they all should.

melee54Offline
Post subject: RE: 94 Tempo - List of Issues - Should I fix it?  PostPosted: Jan 18, 2013 - 02:51 AM

Unfortunately I know almost zero about vehicles and where certain parts are located. Probably won't be able to check most of this stuff myself. I can probably try the computer code checker, though. Best I ever did on my own was change the power steering container, and even that I somehow managed to mess up by getting air bubbles in the tubes, lol. I may have been mistaken by saying the idle was adjusted. Perhaps the timing was just messed with to make the engine run a bit more consistently. Whatever they did, it helped for a while but didn't last too long.

The antifreeze leak seems to be coming from the very front drivers side, kinda in front of the tire.
But yeah, basically I was wondering if this was worth taking it to the shop for. From the sounds of it, it might not be a huge deal. Or it might be massively expensive if the transmission is actually failing.

PsychopeteOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: 94 Tempo - List of Issues - Should I fix it?  PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 - 04:10 PM

melee54 wrote:
The antifreeze leak seems to be coming from the very front drivers side, kinda in front of the tire.

The only thing that comes to mind is to check the under upper hose for traces of coolant. Sounds like it could be either leaking from there or the radiator, and following along the body to the front of the tire, either way you should be able to find traces of coolant to help narrow it down. Good thing is there are a lot less places for coolant to leak on the driver's side than the passenger side.

amc49Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: 94 Tempo - List of Issues - Should I fix it?  PostPosted: Jan 26, 2013 - 02:00 AM
Blabbermouth

Look around the side tank plastic where the upper rad hose attaches, they commonly crack the plastic around in that area.

SuperAlienCatOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: 94 Tempo - List of Issues - Should I fix it?  PostPosted: Mar 13, 2013 - 06:26 AM

Had the battery been recently disconnected? My car idles quite crappily after a disconnect until I put it through the "idle relearning process".

I agree that the brake pull may be a flex hose. Sounds like how mine behaved, and it turned out to be the hose.

melee54Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 13, 2013 - 07:52 PM

I haven't had a lot of time to put into it, but I've had most of the issues fixed.

The pipe on the bottom was as simple as replacing the clamp. The pull when braking was just rust on a brake line. The transmission was fixed simply by replacing the transmission fluid. It's smooth again. Still not sure about the clunky idle before it's driven. Also when braking and it's in drive, the interior buzzes loudly. It's rather annoying. The coolant leak became much, much worse. It's pretty much a coolant fountain. Had two shops look at it and they both said it needs a new radiator.

Big Daddy D.Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 14, 2013 - 12:36 PM

The buzzing sound could be caused by the cat. heat shield being loose.
"coolant fountain" LOL! (rad replacement at this time is normal)

Formerly owned two Topaz V6, 5spd.'s (/92 & /93 2 Dr. Coupes)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
melee54Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 21, 2013 - 03:42 PM

Alright. After paying for this car like 3 times over, lol, everything is just about fixed. I can finally drive it again. The last remaining issue is when I go to start it initially, it turns over and then shuts off right away. Starting it a second time usually results in it staying running but occasionally 3rd time's the charm. The engine doesn't really get warmed up until you start moving fast. Coasting in drive or reverse is shaky but driving on the road is fine. At this point I'm not sure if I care enough to even bother. At least it's mobile again.

miamibobOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 23, 2013 - 02:09 PM

How was the bad idle fixed???

melee54Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2013 - 01:09 AM

miamibob wrote:
How was the bad idle fixed???

The bad idle being "fixed" was more or less me just learning to live with it. None of the shops could figure out what was wrong. As long as I give it some gas when I first start it up and put it into drive, it's fine. And it's almost perfect after it's been driven for a few minutes.

Big Daddy D.Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2013 - 12:50 PM

Have you purchased gas from a different location from where you normally do?
Your not providing us with much info. in order to help you solve this one. What else have you tried or had looked at?

Formerly owned two Topaz V6, 5spd.'s (/92 & /93 2 Dr. Coupes)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
Jump to: